top of page

Stith mead prayer rock


Stith Mead

1767 - 1834

This rock is Rev. Stith Mead's "PRAYING ROCK." He established the first Methodist Church in Lynchburg in 1804, The Third Street Meeting House. He also helped establish Methodism in Augusta, Georgia. Rev. Mead chiseled the words "hope, fast, pray to GOD, Job 19" on the rock around 1896. He received spiritual strength from it. Originally located 1 mile east of Rt. 29 off of Wright Shop Road on a sloping* hill. Relocated to this spot by the men of Amelon Church, May 1998.

bottom of page